In 1924, the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations (OU) began sending rabbis to inspect food-production factories so that it could vouch for the kashrut of their products. One of the OU’s first successful ventures was with H.J. Heinz, the Pittsburgh-based producers of ketchup and canned goods. David Schlitt writes:
In 1927, the H.J. Heinz Company became the first national brand with products approved by the Orthodox Union. Heinz also became the first company to tout the now ubiquitous Ⓤ on many of its labels. In fact, the symbol’s simple, durable design was the work of a collaboration between the Orthodox Union and the H.J. Heinz Company’s art department. . . .
Heinz’s year-’round Jewish-targeted advertising is impressive for its . . . familiarity with its audience. Informal descriptors like maykhl (“delicacy”) and m’ḥayah (roughly, “a delight”) abound. . . . [Around Passover], Heinz took the step of creating expensive and memorable ad campaigns warning its customers off its products during Passover.