In honor of Jerusalem Day—which falls this Sunday, and celebrates the reunification of the city in 1967—the National Library of Israel has made available historic Israeli and Jordanian maps from the years when the eastern parts of the city were occupied by Jordan. David Cohen describes some of the more notable examples. (Reproductions of the maps can be found at the link below.)
An Israeli tourist map of western Jerusalem from the late 1950s was oriented with east at the top, instead of a standard northward orientation. . . . In other maps, both sides of the city are presented in detail, with the boundary line highlighted in the middle. These maps were designed to present tourists with a full picture of the city, but adapted to the new political realities created following the cease-fire in November 1948.
A pictorial map of Jerusalem, issued by [the distinguished] Steimatzky publishing house in 1955, was printed with the dividing line crossing Jerusalem. This was not a new map of Jerusalem, but a re-publication of a map that was first published about a decade earlier. A Jordanian tourist map that was published in Jerusalem in 1952 also shows the entire city of Jerusalem, with the borderline crossing it. It marks the various parts of the city as “UN-controlled territories,” “Jewish-controlled territory,” and “no-man’s land.”